Alternatives Trust East London is based in Newham and was founded in 1994 as a professional and confidential service for anyone experiencing an unplanned pregnancy or pregnancy loss following an abortion or miscarriage, or struggling because of a pregnancy-related issue.
Over the years the work has expanded and now includes:
- Support for vulnerable families (working with 150 families each year)
- Advocacy service for vulnerable families (3,000 client visits by our team each year)
- Working with young people
- Relationship and sex education at local schools and colleges
Alternatives is a non-profit-making body and all its current services are free. The organization adheres to the British Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) and the UK Council for Psychotherapy (UKCP) codes of ethics and practice.
Alternatives’ vision statement is Holistic Help in a Hurting World. We Listen-Care-Support
Alternatives' mission statement is to provide:
- holistic, practical, relational, and educational support during pregnancy, pregnancy loss, and parenting
- sex and relationship education to young people
- training derived from our experiences
Our services focus on the most vulnerable in Newham, usually the forgotten sector.